Wednesday, February 24, 2010

granola

granola
granola
Granola is one of those things that's exponentially better when made at home. No really, you can't even compare boxed or bagged granola to the home baked stuff. And it's so simple to put together. I've probably made 100 batches of it within the last three years, so I think I've finally perfected this recipe. I like to keep it simple - almonds and pumpkin seeds. No dried fruit, but you can definitely add some into the finished granola if you like.

3 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup sunflower oil
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/4 cup raw cane sugar
1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
a couple dashes of ground cinnamon
1 cup almonds
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup ground flaxseeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Pour onto a large baking sheet or dish (I recommend ceramic). Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Be sure to check it often, so that it doesn't get too brown!

If you like your granola more broken up, stir it immediately after taking it out of the oven. If you want large chunks, let it cool completely before stirring to break it up.

makes a lot of granola. store leftover granola in an airtight container & refrigerate for up to a couple of weeks.

5 comments:

Jaime said...

Sounds good! I've never tried a granola recipe from scratch before, and I stumbled upon yours while searching for a recipe. I think I'll try it!

Megan Joy said...

Jaime - I hope you do. Let me know how it goes!

Unknown said...

This was sooo yummy!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Thanks for this! It sounds delicious! I've been looking through all your lovely recipes! Congrats on your baby girl - she is adorable!

xxMK
Delightful Bitefuls

Anonymous said...

I've just cooked two batches of it, and my family are all asking me to cook a week's worth for them as well! ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! 5 Stars!