Monday, June 21, 2010

strawberry bread

strawberry bread
strawberry bread
strawberry bread
strawberry bread
June marks the end of strawberry season and the beginning of unbearably hot days, so I thought this recipe would be the perfect way to bid farewell to baking for a few months. I won't be using my oven much this summer because it produces an insane amount of heat (it's a 1920's Chambers), and I'd prefer to avoid an insanely high electric bill. I fired it up this morning, just to bake this bread, and I was literally soaked in sweat by the time it was done. Not fun.

It was worth it, though. The bread was delicious, so I had to share the recipe.

Most fruit breads have a ridiculous amount of sugar in them --we're talking 1-2 cups. So, when I set out to make strawberry bread, I knew that was the main obstacle. I needed it to be sweet, but not overly so, and I wanted to use agave nectar instead of sugar. I ended up totally winging it. I put all the ingredients together, stuck the bread in the oven, and waited (sweating, of course).

I was really pleased with the way it turned out. It's moist, a little sweet and the strawberries make it nice and tart. I think it's perfect for summer cook outs. It would be great with any number of summer fruits--peaches, nectarines, blackberries, cherries, whatever. The options are endless. I thought it would be really cute to make a 4th of July version with strawberries and blueberries!

1 cup stoneground whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 cup sunflower oil
1/2 cup agave nectar (light or dark)
3 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups strawberries, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch loaf pan. Begin by mixing the dry ingredients. Next, combine the yogurt, sunflower oil, agave, eggs and vanilla. Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry (make sure that you don't over mix it). Fold in the chopped strawberries. Pour into prepared loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes (be sure to check it often).

For babies 12 months and older.

21 comments:

mama hussy said...

always thinkin of the babies.
LOVE!!

Ashley said...

OH MY GOSH. These pictures literally made my mouth water.

blessedmomof4 said...

Come to my house anytime to bake - as long as you leave a little something behind! :)

Anonymous said...

what a gorgeous bread and healthy recipe! love the site -- definitely will visit often.

cheers,

*heather*

Sanura at MyLifeRunsOnFood.com said...

This is a great recipe. Could maple syrup could be substituted for the agave syrup?

Sanura at MyLifeRunsOnFood.com said...

This is a great recipe. Could maple syrup could be substituted for the agave syrup?

satakieli said...

This looks wonderful, we have a cherry tree out back, so I might try it with some cherries!

Megan Joy said...

Ashley - It's really tasty - you should definitely make yourself some!

squirrelbread- Thank you for the kind words. I just visit your blog and am equally delighted by it. :)

Sanura - That should definitely work. Go ahead and use 1/2 cup as well. Let me know how it turns out!

satakieli- Cherries would be perfect. I'd add a little almond extract instead of the vanilla. Cherry and almond work so well together!

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

That is one BEAUTIFUL looking bread! This has been bookmarked! Thank you!

xxMK
Delightful Bitefuls

Food Gal said...

That looks like a perfect send-off for the strawberries. Nothing tops a tender, moist teacake loaded with fresh fruit.

Siri said...

Looks great! I get so excited stumbling across sites like yours (just found it today via tastespotting!) Fantastic photos, clean, simple design, and great young family-focused recipes. My little one is only 4 months and is still only getting my milk, but as soon as he hits 6 months, your site will be a great source of ideas and inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Oops! Just realized that the comment I just posted was made under my old (no longer functioning) site. This one is my current site.

Friday Delights said...

i have eaten strawberry muffins but not strawberry bread. This look so good; i can’t stop looking at it, OMG i want a piece so bad!!!! Great Photo

jacqui said...

I'm dreading the end of strawberry season, but this bread sounds like a delicious way to use the last of them! Your blog is beautiful too by the way!

MeganRose said...

What beautiful photos! What a great idea to use up fresh delicious summer strawberries!

Anonymous said...

This recipe is AMAZING! Thank you so much for posting it! I just made the bread and it turned out great. I changed a couple of things--used all whole wheat flour, substituted apple sauce for half of the oil, and added some honey and hazelnuts! Thank you for sharing this, it is definitely a hit!

Guusje said...

I will try this tomorrow, sounds delish!

Nicole said...

Made this today, it was perfection. Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait for breakfast (which is why I made it). Haha, Had to taste tonight.

Phyllis said...

This bread is so delicious. Would it still be delicious if frozen for 2-3 months?

FrizzyMama said...

Thanks so much for this yummy recipe; I found it on pinterest! We have a local strawberry patch near us, so I was able to use some fresh berries for this bread. It was easy to substitute honey for agave (that's what I had on hand). Everything came together beautifully and it smell great while baking. It turned out just like your picture and I can't wait to share it with some friends tonight! : )

Unknown said...

This is one of my favourite healthy, guilt-free snacks. I absolutely love it :) ... I add 2 ripe, mashed bananas to it. Yummy combination. Enjoy!!