Saturday, August 11, 2012

Avocado + Cucumber Soup.


Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

It's no secret that I'm obsessed with avocados.  I've loved them for as long as I can remember - when I was little, most other kids were grossed out by their texture or flavor, but I couldn't get enough.  Thanks to my Mom, who puts them in/on everything.  In the summer, she usually has at least ten on hand at any given time, and I'm the same.  When I'm not making guacamole or putting them in salads and smoothies, I just cut one open, sprinkle some salt on, and eat it with a spoon.  The whole thing...shamelessly.

Anyway, let's talk about this soup.  I realize avocado in soup sounds kind of strange, but just give it a chance.  It's delicious, and also really, really simple to make.  There's only five ingredients: avocado, cucumber, green onion, garlic, and lemon juice.  That's it.  No cooking, no mess in the kitchen.  Just five ingredients, and a blender is all you need.

If you want it spicy, try adding a jalapeno or serrano in.  A little bit of cilantro might be nice, too

2 ripe avocados
1/2 large cucumber
5 green onions (bottom only)
1 clove garlic
juice of 1 lemon
sea salt
water

Begin by peeling the cucumber.  Cut into slices, and set aside.  Chop the green onions, separating the white part from the green.  Place the avocado, cucumber, green onions, garlic, lemon juice, about 1 cup of water, and 1/2 teaspoon or so of salt in the blender.  Blend well, adding more water if necessary (the consistency should be on the thick side. Chill in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours.  Pour into two bowls, and garnish with more green onion.

serves 2.

note: I added some garlic to the leftover soup, and it was even more delicious.  I'm updating the recipe to include it.


5 comments:

Beth said...

I'm also an unabashed avocado lover, and my kids are too! I've got everything on hand to make this soup, and it sounds so lovely and cool for the hot weather we've been having - thanks for figuring out lunch!

Amy Powell said...

sounds lovely & refreshing!

Anonymous said...

This is so simple and pretty! Love this idea :)

Sherilyn said...

Summer is fast approaching here in Australia and this will be perfect to beat the heat when it finally arrives - LOVE!

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

I made this and it was a big hit. I used lime rather than lemon though and topped it with a dollop of lime Greek yogurt and chunks of cucumber and avocado and onion. Very good!